The Continuing Education Council (CEC) is composed of members who meet the most current accreditation criteria for peer reviewers.
The members of the CEC study and evaluate matters relating to continuing nursing and/or inter-professional education by:
- Supporting the approval process for continuing individual continuing education activities and providers of continuing education;
- Assessing proposed plans for continuing education programs in the state and recommending appropriate action;
- Providing input in the proposed law, rule, and criteria changes related to continuing education; and
- Performing or initiating other duties related to continuing education with the approval of the Board.
Criteria to be considered for appointment to the Continuing Education Council (CEC):
- A minimum of a baccalaureate degree in nursing.
- At least five years’ experience in nursing.
- Knowledge of and experience with the approval system. (This may be obtained in various ways such as: working in a nursing staff development or continuing education department or being an applicant or planner of continuing education, etc.) Note: Preference is given to those members who are involved in ONA approved activities or provider units.
- Willingness to accept responsibility for the work of the council as defined under duties below.
- Knowledge of the educational process.
- Member of ONA or recognized state nurses association.
- Licensed as an RN in the state of residence.
Duties: It is expected that each member will:
- Review individual activities and provider applications in an objective, professional manner using the criteria of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation and the rules of the Ohio Board of Nursing. This review should also consider the different ways criteria and rules can be implemented in different settings and take into consideration the Nursing Professional Development: Scope and Standards of Practice.
- Complete the work of the council in a timely manner including submitting reviews and work for the committee meetings if unable to attend.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding applications, applicants and actions taken by the council.
- Attend the council meetings.
- Provide consultation to others in their geographical area if possible and if requested.
- Mentor new council members.
- This Council meets up to five times per year either in person, by conference call or Go-to-Meeting.
- Members of this council are responsible for the processing of reviews of provider/individual activity applications. Time will vary throughout the year with regards to these reviews.
- The members of the CEC will be required to attend various CE events throughout the year including the Provider Update and Professional Development CE - both held in April of each year.
- Council members are reimbursed for travel expenses for in-person meetings using the federal mileage charitable rate.
About the Continuing Education (CE) at ONA
The Ohio Nurses Association provides CE activities for nurses throughout the country and approves continuing education activities for nurses and others licensed by the Ohio Board of Nursing. The CE Department has two arms - an award-winning Approver Unit which approves other organizations to offer CE, and an Accredited Provider Unit through which ONA provides CE to its members and nurses throughout the country.
The Ohio Nurses Association is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation (OBN-001-91).
We can help districts and local units that wish to provide CE to their members in the following ways:
- Provide approval of the programs you develop as well as consultation to help ensure your programs are successful. No fees are charged to districts or local units who seek approval of their activities through ONA. To learn more about the approval process please visit the ONA website at http://www.ohnurses.org/education/#activityapproval
- Help you find speakers for the programs you wish to develop
- ONA staff members can provide already-approved CE programs so you don’t have to go through the planning and approval process.
The Ohio Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (OBN-001-91).
ONA offers CE through publications, live events, webinars and online at www.ce4nurses.org. ONA members get 3 free independent studies that can be taken via the Ohio Nurse, a publication sent to every single RN in the state, and they can also be taken online at www.ce4nurses.org/ohionurse
We are always interested in tapping into the expertise of our members and invite you to let us know if there’s a topic you’d be interested in writing about or presenting at a live event or webinar. If interested, please contact: